Monday, September 3, 2012

Last round at PSU & Momma Luzz's Favorite

This will be my fourth year at Penn State, and my last semester here. I can't believe how much time flew... feels like only a year ago I graduated from high school, and in 2 weeks I'm going to turn 22, and then in a couple months I will be a Penn State graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Nutrition- like seriously? I don't want to grow up!
Sylly week was unexpecting. This pitcher of just plain strawberry starburst is a good recap of it. I had to cut out early though and go home because of poor Hershey :[. The little dogs are going nuts without the big momma bear right now. 

Anna and I decided to make an awesome dinner! Her mom told her about beet greens and if you sauté them they make a great saladish side...oh my goodness they were heavenly. I'm never throwing those puppies away ever again! We also made some gluten free pasta with an amazing pesto- vegan of course! It was so delicious, the recipe for both the sauteed beet greens and creamy pesto spaghetti are on her blog : Dolce Vita. Check it out- she just posted an awesome recipe for mushroom burgers that look amazing!


 As for me, I don't have much recipes up for tonight- I'm still kinda bummin' over the Hershey shmeal. But hey- I made so many awesome treats this weekend- coming to a local blogger near you will be some banana chocolate chip brownies with a rich chocolate frosting, zucchini pizza crust topped with Anna's creamy pesto recipe, some zucchini fries (obviously there is going to be a blog post attributing zucchini), and an awesome cucumber "cumber" salad.

Right now, I have a simple little recipe that I recreated for my mom. My mom is so cute, she's trying to be a vegan! One of her favorite snacks when she was younger were tomato and mayo sandwiches. I cannot tell you how many times she told me this. So I decided that since she is trying oh so hard to be veganized, I decided that we needed to start on something she'd love. I made these as little appetizers for the Penn State vs. Ohio University game (don't even get me started on this game) and she fell in love. Not only was she astonished that there is such thing as vegan mayonnaise, but also at how tasty and delicious this was! And- it was gluten free. Bonus? Only took me less than ten minutes to chop the tomatoes, assort the crackers, and whip up this delicious herbed mayonnaise. Iggy loved it too- he hounded the leftovers and ended up snacking on the mayonnaise!


Tomato and Herbed Mayo 'tizers
vegan~glutenfree

Herbed Veganaise
1/2 cup veganaise
1 tablespoon minced chives
1 teaspoon stonground mustard
2 tablespoons minced basil
2 tablespoons herbes de provence
1 teaspoon minced garlic

Setup
3 heirloom tomatoes, sliced, then quartered for each piece
1 recipe of Herbed Veganaise
24 gluten free crackers (I used Mary's Gone Crackers- Herbed; but any works obviously!)
Himalayan Sea Salt (or any salt)

For the veganaise
1. Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until creamy

For the preparation
1. Place crackers of choice on a serving plate
2. Dollop each cracker with herby veganaise
3. place 2-4 slices of tomato on each cracker
4. sprinkle salt on top of each!

Easy peasy :]

No comments:

Post a Comment