It's that time of year again, when the pumpkin madness begins! I know, this kinddaa looks like Applesauce, but it's actually pumpkin soup. Yup. Pumpkin Soup. Creamy, deliciousness. The secret ingredient to its thick density? Chickpeas.
Spiced Pumpkin Pie Soup
1 pumpkin (sugar pumpkin works)
8 cloves garlic
2 tablespoon EVOO
1/2 onion, diced
1-15 oz can chickpeas, with water
6 tablespoons soy/almond/any non-dairy milk
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1) First, preheat your oven to 350 F
2) Stab your pumpkin 6 times around, so that it punctured through the inside. Drizzle 1 Tablespoon EVOO onto your pumpkin and rub it all in!
3) Put your pumpkin on a deep dish baking tray (like one you would use to make brownies) and roast it for 1 1/2 hours (Mine took a little less, so check after an hour- it depends on the oven, and my oven is small in my apartment).
4) When pumpkin is tender and easy to put a knife through, take it out of the oven and let it rest for 30 minutes.
5) Cut your pumpkin in half, and take out the stringy stuff in the middle (save the pumpkin seeds to roast for later!). Spoon out the roasted pumpkin remaining that will be for your soup! (I began doing this part when I was ready to put it in the soup)
6) Next, begin making the soup! Add the remaining tablespoon to a 4 quart saucepot and add in your whole cloves of garlic and diced onion over medium-high heat. Cook for 3 minutes.
7) Add in the pumpkin as well as your can of chickpeas (with water), pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, let it simmer for 15 minutes.
8) Take it off the heat and either use an immersion blender or a blender to your desired consistency.
9) When serving, add in 1 tablespoon of soy milk for each serving and swirl. Sprinkle cinnamon on top to serve!
165 calories ~ 25g CHO ~ 5g FAT ~ 6g PRO
My mom made some corn muffins for the soup- followed the recipe from the back of the box of a corn muffin mixture, and substitute buttermilk for Soy + Apple Cider Vinegar, and ENER-G for Eggs :] such a sweetheart. And topped it with some vegan butter? Perfeecctttttt
My little Iggy try to catch some dreams :]<3