Sunday, June 17, 2012

Kale Stuffed Enchiladas in a Tomatillo Sauce

Already my day has been kind've off. Bill woke up really sick, throwing up blood. Instantly I took off work and was about to take him to the ER. But the blood wasn't substantial and he seemed to be doing better, so I just let him rest. That kinda stuff scares me, especially since I learn so much about nutrition-related disorders, specifically GI ones. I try so hard to get Bill to eat healthy, but it is so much harder for boys to listen. One day, it will all click; I have hope for him. 

Everybody, Iggy Smalls is now Gluten Free!


Work has been taking over for me- the season is about to begin. Bill and I have been getting along and are getting back into our cooking routine again! For the weekend we made some awesome kale-stuffed enchiladas with a tomatillo sauce- DIVINE! I go tmy inspiration from Michael Natkin's cookbook "Herbivoracious". I got a Barnes and Noble Gift Card, so you know I instantly went out to use it! I got these books- mostly for conversions, inspirations, and awesome reads. You're probably going to be seeing a lot of inspiration recipes from these recipe books on my blog from these books! For Herbivoracious' kale-stuffed enchiladas, I hardly followed the recipe, but I fell in love with the tomatillo sauce. Bill loved it too-it was spicy, yet still pleasant to the palate for people who don't like heat!
Kale Stuffed Enchiladas in a Tomatillo Sauce
Serves 3, or 2 hungry people
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1 1/2 poblanos- stemmed, halved and seeded
  • 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husked and halved
  • 3 T safflower oil (or other high heat oil)
  • 1 C vegetable broth (mine is homemade, but make sure you find a GF vegetable broth if you don't)
  • 3 T light coconut milk
  • 3 large bunches dinosaur kale
  • 1 Medium red onion, diced
  • 1/4 C water
  • 3/4 bag Daiya Pepperjack shreds
  • 6 corn tortillas
  • 1/4C chopped scallions
  • 2 teaspoons celtic sea salt
For the sauce:

  1. Combine the garlic cloves, poblanos, tomatillos and a teaspoon of salt in a blender and puree. 
  2. Heat 1 1/2 T oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add puree and cook it down for approximately 10 minutes stirring frequently. 
  3. Add broth and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Take off heat and add coconut milk
    1. Make sure your sauce is a thick, tomato-sauce consistently, if not put it back on the heat and simmer it down a little more
  5. Turn off heat and let it cool.
For the filling:
  1. Break leave bunches in half and heat 1 1/2 T of the remaining oil in a large skillet over high heat. 
  2. Add the red onions and cook for 1 minute. Add kale and toss.
  3. Add water and 1 teaspoon salt, cover, and reduce heat to low
  4. Cook, tossing occasionally, for approximately 15 minutes, until kale is wilted and the water has evaporated.
  5. Place kale mixture in a bowl and mix in 1/2 of the pepperjack cheese shreds with the kale. Set aside.
Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F
  2. Wrap tortllas in a moist paper towel and microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds.
  3. In an 8x8 pan, ladle 1 cup tomatillo sauce. Dip tortillas in the remaining sauce in the saucepan. Place in the baking dish and stuff it with the kale mixture, folding it so the steam side is down. Do this for each tortilla.
  4. Pour sauce on top and add 1/4 of the remaining cheese on top
  5. Bake for ~ 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.
  6. Top with chopped scallions and serve. 





2 comments:

  1. YUM, this sounds awesome! I have it tweeted and pinned! I (well my cats) love wellness food :) And yes boys take a much longer time to listen! Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love kale! I would love it if you visited my new Gluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy.com and linked up this and any other idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete