Wednesday, June 13, 2012

June 13, 2012

June 13, is one of the hardest days of my life. It's not the day that my sister passed away, but rather it is her birthday. The difference between her birthday and the day she died is that on the day she died, it is supposed to be an average normal day. But on her birthday, so many memories and thoughts race through my head throughout the entire day; I wonder "Wow...what would we be doing today? We'd probably be going crazy right now!". It's the memories and the "what ifs" that are the hardest to get through. Like, what if she were alive- would we be going out to celebrate her 20th birthday? Would we be in a fight as siblings? Would she be dating a male skankatron? Who knows what today would be like to celebrate her birthday.

I lost my sister when I was 8 years old- she was 6 years old. She was my best friend. She looked over my brother like a HAWK and I was right behind her doing mischievous things. If you didn't know any better, you would assume Marie was the oldest, the way she looked after my brother. she loved him so much so and made all the decisions for him. It was so cute and so funny at the time- she was actually the one that named our cat Cynthia- she obviously convinced Joey this was the perfect name for a cat.

It's weird not having my babygirl around. On her birthday, how do we celebrate? Do we celebrate at all? Every year we send you up a balloon Marie with all our wishes and love to no end. Is that enough? 

In her memory, I made one of her favorites. Marie loved hot dogs when she was little, and corn on the cob was her go-to vegetable. I obviously cannot eat a hot dog (and probably don't know when the last time I had one was), so I made a juicy vegan burger. I finally found a bread that is PRIME- udi's sandwich bread in the freezer aisle. I added some red onions, lettuce from the garden, tomatoes, daiya pepperjack cheeze shreds, and a vegan burger patty that's gluten free and then some sriracha vegan mayo (1 T mayo and 1 t sriracha). I had corn on the cob on the side- I simply preheated my oven to 350 and cooked it with the husk on for 30 minutes. However, I'd strongly recommend that you grill these puppies- it tastes so.much.better. I just didn't have the energy to heat up the grill today. 

No more recipes for today. I'll be sure to get one tomorrow...today is just a dreary day. And enjoi life :]


No comments:

Post a Comment