Thursday, June 7, 2012

Corny Johnnycakes

What a day to spend a Wednesday afternoon! Wednesday's are my favorite days because our local farmer's market is open for us, and they have the greatest produce ever! It's called Josie Porter Farm and it's so lovely! Currently they don't have much because they are still growing stuff for the season to begin, but they have rhubarb and scallions- yum. I love scallions for breakfast in a tofu scramble because they are so delicate. I haven't experimented with rhubarb yet, but I plan on doing so sometime this week- possibly something I like to call "rhubars" :]. Hopefully they will work out for my blog!


Anyways, before I got a tattoo on my foot and went to the farmers market and after my workout, I decided to treat my mom and I to a lovely little breakfast. I've been craving pancakes and corn muffins lately, so I decided that I can kill two birds with one stone and just make CORN CAKES- or johnnycakes as people in the south would refer to them. In Florida, these were so common back when I lived there. But since I've moved to the Poconos they are hard to find. My mom got some fresh corn so I decided to use it on these heavenly, delicious, glorious pancakes. 

Next time, I will probably add some blueberries inside the corncakes, because when I put them on top they were SO. GOOD. I also might experiment in a blueberry cornbread...hmmm??? 

Some helpful hints before you make these:
* I would strongly suggest using a cast iron skillet or nonstick pan. Corn is very sticky, so make sure when you fry them you use a good amount of oil
* If you want, try to bake them for a healthier alternative! I haven't tried it, but maybe next time I will because they cook fast on the outside!
* If you are using frozen corn, thaw them before you use them- they will be too cold when you blend them up and might mess up your batter

Corny Johnnycakes
Yields 6 cakes (yields 2 or 3)
1 cup frozen corn (thawed) or fresh corn
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup Almond Milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons maple or agave syrup
2 tablespoons canola oil
juice of 1 fresh lemon

1. First, put your fresh corn and almond milk in a blender and blend for 3 seconds
2. Add all your ingredients in the blender and blend for 10 seconds- just until there is enough crunch but have a slightly smooth batter
3. Put your batter in the fridge for 5 minutes- in the meantime preheat your cast iron skillet if you are using it!
4. When cooking- add just enough oil in the pan to cover it. I used 1/4 cup vegan butter each time i put in a new batch of cornycakes
5. Put in 2 ladles of batter in your pan and cook for no more than three mintes on each side! 
6. Put them on a paper towel to get the extra oil off as you make each batch- and after every batch make sure you add enough oil to the pan to cover it!
Serve with: blueberries on top, whip cream, maple syrup, powdered sugar- just like you would with pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment