Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Maple Quinoa Granola Crunch

Early morning, early breakfast! Iggy has a very strict morning schedule (trust me- I didn't make this one up), which includes
9AM- Iggy wakes up and is all sweet and nice, grabs a bite for breakfast, and takes his morning dump
9:30AM- Iggy wants to play, so I have to wake up and play
10 or 10:30AM- Iggy goes back to sleep

Then he sleeps until probably 12ish and is back at the normal ritual of play, sleep, play, sleep. But this morning, Iggy was all about playing by 9AM. He woke up and did his morning rituals in 10 minutes and was ready to play by 9:15! So at 10AM I put on some Will&Grace and was ready to start my day of studying...after my morning rituals of watching Will&Grace, blogging, looking up recipes, and make a mental schedule of what lies ahead for my day (this is while Iggy is taking his nap). I sound like a crazy cat lady mother, but I love my Iggy Smalls!

annywayyyssss, back to being normal: I LOVE granola crunch on my yogurt, but unfortunately my stomach cannot handle oats very well and I've had to cut out yummy, delicious oatmeal and granola :[. But just last Thursday, I was watching Sweet Genius on TV and they had Quinoa as the secret ingredient. Personally, I don't like eating cooked Quinoa. It's taste is too grainy and awkward on the palette. But, on Sweet Genius they baked their Quinoa and sprinkled it on top of their cakes so it gave a crunch and made it look so beautiful! Therefore, I decided to take up the challenge and zazzy it up a bit. So friends, I give you and awesome alternative to Granola that is AWESOMER than the real thang. 

Maple Quinoa Granola Crunch
Yields about 1/2 Jar
1 Cup Quinoa (I used Rainbow Quinoa)
1/2 Cup Walnuts
2 Tablespoons Chia Seeds, or Flax Seeds (I used chia so they go with the Quinoa)
2 Tablespoons of Maple Syrup, Agave Nectar, or Honey (I used Maple!)
1/2 Tablespoon Canola Oil or Coconut Oil
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray
  2. Rinse your Quinoa in a fine mesh strainer several times! (It really makes a difference, it'll taste too grainy if you don't)
  3. Drain and pat dry with a paper towel
  4. In a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients
  5. Spread your mixture over the baking sheet and make sure it is rather even
  6. Bake for 13-15 minutes, shaking the baking sheet every 5 minutes. 
  7. Top it on yogurt, or if you have any other ideas post them on here!


Also, if you have any recipes you want to be gluten-free, vegan, or just want a recipe that you havent seen on here, let me know- shoot me an e-mail (aml5503@psu.edu) or just comment on my blog! 


2 comments:

  1. this looks great! I was just telling my husband how I'd love to find a good granola recipe and this I will have to try. Thank you for linking up with us at Gluten Free Fridays:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays recipe party! See you next Friday! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete